Hearty and healthy, this Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is full of delicious vegetables, including carrots, celery, and leeks, as well as hearty and tasty shredded chicken, all cooked in a flavorful chicken broth.
As I am writing this, I am sitting in my pajamas, sipping a very large cup of witches brew, and struggling with a very unpleasant cold. I haven’t been sick in quite some time, but this cold took hold of our household and it has been a doozy. We are all sniffly, have sore throats, and are so tired but we must push on because we have a little 5-month-old that is wide awake and ready to play.
During the fall, a staple meal in our house is our Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup – but especially when we’re sick, it’s essential. It’s such a delicious and cozy comfort meal and it always helps us feel better, even if we are sitting here sniffly-nosed and exhausted.
What vegetables are in this homestyle chicken noodle soup?
In this homestyle chicken noodle soup recipe, I use leeks, carrots, celery, onion, ginger, garlic, and parsley – but I would honestly throw in any vegetable that we have on hand. During the summer we had an abundance of tomatoes from our garden and I’d often throw them in our soups because they add a delicious acidic flavour. Or, in the winter if we have squash around, we will add chunks of squash. You can really add whichever vegetables you like!
What Kind Of Noodles Can You Use?
You can use any type of noodle you prefer. For this recipe, we tend to use No Yolks broad spiral noodles.
What Type Of Chicken Is In This Recipe?
We removed the bones from skin-on and bone-in chicken thighs and used those to enhance the flavour and add nutrients to the broth. The rest of the chicken thighs including the skin, we used for different recipes.
We like to buy bone-in chicken thighs because 1. they are cheaper than skinless/boneless, and 2. because we use the bones to make our homemade chicken broth. For this recipe, we used homemade broth that we already had on hand and just added extra flavour by incorporating more bones. With the costs of food being so high right now, we try to choose cuts of meat that are the most budget-friendly, and then we look for ways to extend their use.
The bones in chicken thighs are easy to cut out and are excellent to use as the basis for your broth. The skin of these chicken thighs we usually remove and set aside to make crispy chicken skins, which make for a delicious snack.
For the actual chicken meat in this recipe, we used boneless/skinless chicken breast. This is great for use in soups like this because chicken breast shreds very nicely once it’s been cooked, and personally we prefer shredded chicken over chunks of chicken in our homestyle chicken noodle soup.
What Ingredients Are In This Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup?
- Chicken Thigh Bones
- Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- Italian Seasoning
- Olive oil
- Optional: Chili Oil
A Note About This Recipe:
In this recipe, I use Chicken thigh bones for added flavor but I set aside the chicken thighs and then use chicken breast for the shredded chicken in this recipe. The reason I did this was because I had another meal planned that would be using the chicken thighs. If you have chicken thighs on hand and are using the bones and aren’t using the thighs for another recipe, go ahead and use them for the chicken component of this recipe, although they won’t shred quite as well as breast!
- 6 Cloves of Garlic (Finely chopped)
- 1 Large Thumb of Ginger (Finely chopped)
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Leek (Chopped)
- 1 Bunch of Celery (Approximately 5-6 celery sticks)
- 6 Carrots (Chopped)
- Parsley (Chopped)
- 6-8 Chicken Thigh Bones
- 3 Chicken Breasts or 6-8 Chicken Thighs
- 6-8 Cups of Chicken Broth
- 12 oz noodles
- Italian Seasoning
- Olive oil
- Optional: Chili Oil
- Begin by prepping vegetables and chicken. Chop the onion, leek, celery, and carrots, and finely chop the garlic and ginger. Prepare the chicken by removing the bones and seasoning the meat with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to the pot and heat the pot on medium heat.
- Once heated, add the chicken bones, onions, garlic, ginger, and parsley to the pot. Season with salt pepper, Oregano, Italian Seasoning, and Sage. Stir to mix the seasonings in.
- Make a well in the ingredients and add in a bit more olive oil. Place chicken into the well and cook chicken on each side for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the chopped leeks, carrots, and celery.
- Season with more salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and stir again.
- Allow soup to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken breast (or thighs) and set aside. Remove chicken bones and discard.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken breast (or thighs) and then re-add the shredded chicken to the soup.
- Add the noodles. In this recipe, we used No Yolks broad spiral noodles which were cooked in the soup for 7 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
Optional: Add chili oil for some spice!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 679Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 321mgSodium: 4906mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 70g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Other Recipes To Check Out: